To get going on PrEP, speak to your regular physician or nursing assistant, or search well for A health that is sexual Clinic. There are also other clinics offering PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC wellness Map.
Is PrEP right for me personally?
To learn if PrEP suits you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is for HIV-negative individuals that are prepared to just take an everyday pill.
You should think about using PrEP in the event that you:
- Don’t always utilize condoms while having sex
- Recently had a sexually transmitted infection (sti)
- Have significantly more than one partner that is sexual
- Have partner who may have intercourse along with other lovers
- Have partner who’s HIV and a detectable or unknown viral load
- Want to conceive with a partner who has got HIV
- Have partner whom will not obtain an HIV test
- Have sexual intercourse for cash, medications or even spot to remain
- Inject medications or have partner who injects medications
So how exactly does PrEP stop HIV?
If you should be subjected to HIV, the medications in PrEP stop the herpes virus from distributing through your human body, preventing an HIV illness. PrEP just works when you have sufficient medicine within your body, so that you need certainly to simply take PrEP each day.
Truvada® — the medication that is only authorized as PrEP — is a mix of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are exactly the same safe medications that lots of people with HIV used to continue to be healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Do you know the relative negative effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to take care of people who have HIV since 2004.
A lot of people on PrEP try not to report any relative unwanted effects. For many who do, probably the most common unwanted effects are sickness, upset belly, weakness and headaches. These signs frequently have better or go away inside the very first month of using PrEP. Rare negative effects consist of renal or bone tissue dilemmas. Your physician or nursing assistant makes it possible to handle any unwanted effects.
Just how well does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through intercourse by over 90% for those who make the supplement at the very least four times a week. Your HIV danger is significantly reduced invest the PrEP each day.
Since PrEP had been introduced in 2012, this has assisted reduce brand brand new HIV infections across nyc.
If We just take PrEP, do We nevertheless need certainly to make use of condoms?
PrEP is definitely an effective hiv avoidance choice for individuals who don’t use condoms whenever they have sexual intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and pregnancy that is unintended.
How can I just simply take PrEP?
With PrEP, you take a tablet as soon as a even on days that you do not have sex or inject drugs day.
PrEP is recommended by way of a medical practitioner or nursing assistant.
- That you do not have HIV and that your kidneys and liver are healthy before you start PrEP: Your doctor or nurse will test you to make sure.
- While you’re on PrEP: your medical professional or nursing assistant will test you every 90 days for HIV and also at minimum every half a year for any other STIs.
For more information on what to anticipate whenever PrEP that is taking the consumer’s help Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
The length of time does it simply just take for PrEP to operate?
Studies claim that you’ll want to just just take day-to-day PrEP for at minimum:
- A week before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you might be the receptive or “bottom” partner during anal sex.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you might be the receptive partner during vaginal intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It isn’t yet understood what amount of times you’ll want to just simply simply take PrEP you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or vaginal sex before it can provide maximum protection when.
How to pay money for PrEP?
In nyc State, PrEP is included in Medicaid and a lot of medical insurance plans.
If you don’t have insurance or have actually a high co-pay, you may well be qualified to receive an individual support program that can help buy PrEP. Medical clinics can additionally assist patients apply. You’ll enlist into an insurance that is low-cost by calling 311.
Find out about your re Payment alternatives for PrEP (PDF).
Can I get PrEP if i’m an immigrant that is undocumented
Immigration status will not influence your capability to obtain PrEP. You are able to safely consult with staff at our Health that is sexual clinics how your immigration status may influence your choices for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention practices.
That I am on PrEP if I am covered by my parents’ insurance, will they be notified?
No. Even though you are more youthful than 18, parental authorization isn’t needed to begin PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and visits that are related the hospital are going to be private.
You can take steps to stop an “Explanation of Benefits” form from being sent to your parents or policyholder if you are covered by your parents’ insurance. Your PrEP provider can assist you using this procedure.
Just just How else may I remain HIV-negative?
- Find out about crisis PEP. If you’re perhaps not taking PrEP and think you had been recently confronted with HIV, get straight away to your medical professional or an urgent situation space and have for PEP, an urgent situation medicine that may avoid HIV. You can phone the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to begin with on PEP straight away. The hotline can be acquired 24/7.
- Utilize condoms as frequently as you are able to. Get the size and kind of condom you want. Condoms are offered for free in every five boroughs. To get our where russian mail order brides you could get yourself a condom that is free call 311 or go to the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Utilize water-based or silicone-based lubricant, specially during anal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test may be the only method to determine if you or a partner has HIV.
- Confer with your lovers about evaluation. Pose a question to your intercourse lovers in regards to the final time they had an HIV test. To be certain, get tested together.
- Help your lovers managing HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV to have HIV care and just just simply take their medicines every so they stay healthy and do not pass HIV to others day.
- Get examined for other STIs. STIs causes it to be more straightforward to get or spread HIV.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when you’ve got intercourse. Drinking or getting high if you have sex causes it to be difficult to remember to utilize condoms. For help to avoid using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are around for over 200 languages.
- Utilize syringes that are cleanPDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid syringes that are sharing cookers, cottons and medication solutions. Learn where you are able to get syringes that are clean the town.
PrEP for females
PrEP is definitely an effective hiv avoidance selection for cisgender and transgender females whenever taken daily.
Ladies who have genital intercourse have to be specially careful to just just just take PrEP each day to keep sufficient medication in their genital muscle to stop an HIV infection.
Ladies who have sexual intercourse with ladies and whom can be subjected to HIV through sex or injecting medications can additionally reap the benefits of PrEP.
Will PrEP affect my birth prevention?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP will not restrict hormone-based contraception. PrEP just stops HIV, which means you nevertheless need certainly to make use of birth prevention or condoms to avoid unintended maternity and other STIs.
Will PrEP restrict my hormones treatment?
No. There’s absolutely no proof that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the known quantities of hormones within you. Analysis has unearthed that transgender ladies who just simply simply take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
Am I able to simply simply just take PrEP while hoping to get expecting or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect ladies who want to conceive a kid with a partner that is hiv-positive. PrEP is safe for the mother and youngster both during and after pregnancy, and it has perhaps maybe maybe not been proven to influence fertility.
If you want to just just take PrEP while wanting to conceive, talk to your physician. You may have to consult a professional to get more guidance about making use of PrEP that way.